Friday, March 22, 2013

Non-Scale Victory!

This week I had a non-scale victory!  

So...what is this non-scale victory you ask?  I ran 16 minutes straight without stopping!  Granted, a turtle probably could have passed me, but hey, I did it without stopping! That is HUGE for me.  Running is definitely a love/hate relationship for me.  I would LOVE to be a runner.  But I HATE running.  It is ALL mental.  Every time I go for a "run jog" I am constantly fighting with myself about when I want to stop.  That little voice inside my head keeps saying, "just make it to that next mailbox and you can stop."  It NEVER comes easy for me.  It is a constant battle.  My husband on the other hand can go out and run 11 miles without thinking twice about it.  He keeps telling me that I just need to get into the groove.  I can't seem to find that groove.  But Tuesday afternoon, I did!  I know 16 minutes isn't long for most people, but it was huge for me!  This is my life...



But hey, I finally proved this one wrong!



Now I can change that one to 17 minutes :)  

Right now my main form of exercise is going to spin classes.  I have been going every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning to a 5:45am spin class. I have also been going to a few on the weekends.  I LOVE it.  It is definitely different muscles than running, but clearly the cardio training has been helping in the running department as well.  I have also been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on my lunch break every day most days.

I'm still trying to find a good way to work weights into my workouts.  I think I need to do some kind of weights routines in the evenings, but I'm not sure what they will be.  However, I am excellent at pinning them on pinterest :)  haha!  Anyone have a favorite weights routine that they would like to share with me?  I would love to hear from you!

For me, it is very easy to get "stuck on the numbers."  The scale holds a lot of control over me.  I am trying hard not to let it control my mindset.  But it is difficult!  I am very much a "numbers" person and I want to see immediate results on that scale when I am working hard.  But it was exciting to see progress off of the scale this week!  

3 comments:

  1. That is so AWESOME, Amy!

    You and Thomas shall be the runners in the family! It is all about recognizing your progression and basking in the glory! :)

    I am glad you are enjoying your spin classes so much! It is exciting you found an exercise that really gets you pumped about working out!

    For me, that is weight-lifting! <3

    I was so excited to see a new blog post and so proud of you that you are ready and willing to share with everyone and get motivation from knowing we are all in it together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometime you should talk to Ed. He is not a natural runner either and he has been doing a lot of studying and has a lot to share on the topic. Let's put it this way, he is videotaping himself to improve his form. He averages about 2.5 miles which is huge for him. He started on the couch to 5 k program and used an app on his phone that helped him. I can't yet find the motivation but between you girls and him, I am really hoping it starts to rub off! Yeah for celebrating victories! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing awesome! So proud of him and all he is doing to improve his health!! You have one determined honey ;)

      Delete